Youth and Media Policy Working Group Initiative
The Berkman Center's Youth and Media Policy Working Group Initiative will explore those policy issues that fall within three substantive clusters that emerge from youth's information and communications technology (ICT) practices:
- Risky Behaviors and Online Safety (led by danah boyd);
- Privacy, Publicity and Reputation (led by John Palfrey); and
- Youth Created Content and Information Quality (led by Urs Gasser).
In each of these clusters, we seek to:
- map and analyze the key policy aspects that deserve attention by private and public policy-makers;
- summarize the current state of knowledge and research; and
- identify key policy considerations and, to the greatest extent possible on a compressed timeline, make specific policy recommendations.
Our intended audience is policymakers, both in the public and private sectors. In the public sector, the audience will primarily be federal policymakers, including legislators and regulators. In the private sector, the targeted audience consists of corporate policy-setters and technology developers (those who write "code" as self-executing policy). The intent of this initiative is to bring the best research on youth and media into the policy-making debate and to propose practical, relevant, situated solutions based upon that research.