Joy A. Lo is the Director of Communications of the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University.
Joy focuses on crafting and delivering communications that support the mission and advance strategic goals. She has worked at the intersection of technology, society, and policy across a broad range of contexts – education, sustainability, the environment, economic development, poverty alleviation, health care, and law. With two decades of global experience helping public and private sector organizations tell their stories, Joy brings a deep background in strategic communications and public affairs to Berkman Klein. Her areas of expertise include public relations, branding, digital communications, and partnerships. She also specializes in talent development, project management, building organizational capacity, and bridging diverse stakeholders.
Before joining Berkman Klein:
- Joy advised the City of New York on NYC's Green New Deal and long-term strategic plan, OneNYC 2050. She oversaw public outreach efforts to over 16k New Yorkers and managed advisory boards with subject matter experts from academia, government, business, labor, advocacy, and nonprofits. Joy worked on policy issues including climate change, resiliency, cybersecurity, economic inequality, workforce development, and community engagement.
- For her clients in the aerospace, energy, and security sectors, she worked on initiatives including digital transformation strategy, artificial intelligence market research, data center planning, negotiation communications, marketing campaigns, visual branding, and strategic partnerships.
- At Microsoft, as Senior Communications Manager for Microsoft Research, Joy translated fundamental scientific research into compelling stories for academic and non-academic, industry and non-industry audiences around the world, often highlighting AI solutions to societal challenges.
- As the Public Affairs Officer for the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in China, Joy partnered with the World Health Organization (WHO) to address SARS, the global health epidemic, including training the Chinese government on how to handle worldwide news media communications.
- For Cisco, she served as Senior Communications Advisor and Speechwriter for Cisco’s China President.
- As Public Affairs Manager at Burson-Marsteller, Joy managed PR, crisis communications, and media relations for Intel, Qualcomm, Cisco, Johnson & Johnson, BP, American Airlines, the Special Olympics, and the Government of Indonesia.
Joy graduated from Brown University with a Bachelor of Arts in English and American Literature. She is interested in sustainability, fairness, diversity, unity, civic participation, grassroots politics, the future of work, and the arts. She loves languages and wants to learn Italian next.