March 05 2008 Conference Call

From Project VRM
Jump to: navigation, search

Conference Call Notes

Drafted by Christopher Carfi, March 5, 2008
Added to by Adriana Lukas, March 5, 2008
Edited ever so sightly by Dean Landsman, March 5, 2008

IRC

  1. vrm at chat.freenode.net

Other Calls

Category:conference call

Attendees

  • Dean Landsman
  • Adriana Lukas
  • Bart Stevens
  • Charles Andres
  • Iain Henderson
  • Christopher Carfi
  • Keith Hopper
  • Brett McDowell
  • Joe Andrieu
  • Drummond Reed

Previous Action Items

  1. Send query on email list about use of main list. Is that working better? - Joe - By Friday Feb 22, 2008
  2. First draft position paper - Dean - By Friday Feb 29, 2008.

Notes

Vision Committee (Dean)

  • Ven diagram of individual and enterprise perspectives - the overlap should be larger that than the spare space; much should be shared although different angles
  • Chris joined that group (visions committee) as he understands CRM and its beginnings
  • how code would end up coming into or out of the vision
  • next Wednesday afternoon (12th March) a meeting with, Doc, Keith, Chris and Sean in Cambridge – incorporating user and the enterprise – coding something very vaguely,
  • at the moment too many definitions, bunch of discussions in lots of places
  • need to have some degree of definition otherwise VRM becomes kind of where CRM is i.e. fragmented.

Bart: flagged up a paper about next level of CRM by O'Reilly, which mentions VRM and Doc Searls, business values for a consumer and a value for a vendor Dean: VRM is not just business

Standards Committee (Joe)

  • Drummond and Joe have looked at multiple ways to "name" the users of VRM for the first use case
  • Challenge: Who is the "user" and the conflict with "user-centrism"
  • Resolved -- Broken out to "actors" (people or systems, eg. vendor or individual) and "roles" (e.g. "adressee," who manages his address in the system)
  • Will be looking at the specific Use Cases for the Personal Address Manager service.

Organization Committee (Doc)

  • Dean will wheedle.

Usage Committee (Adriana)

  • Trying to organize people to get together F2F - regular monthly VRM Hub meetings
  • Doing monthly get-togethers in London
  • Organizing a smaller gathering on 15April in London (goal: identify problems that VRM can address for real people)
  • "I don't talk to companies, I talk to people within companies" - connecting people who might be interested in the concepts of VRM
  • Goal - open doors

Compliance Committee (Iain)

  • One option on table to outsource compliance to Liberty Alliance, but more discussion needed.

Events

  • European Meeting last week - part of monthly VRM Hub social meetings in London. Next one is on 27th March, 2008.


  • Scratch your VRM Itch, 15-April-2008 in London - Adriana
    • For those who have been following VRM for a while
    • For those who want to make VRM work
    • For users, no agenda, user-driven
    • Sort of like IIW, but without presentations
    • Most attendees will already know each other
    • Approximately 35 attendees
  • Upcoming EU Identity Conference in Munich
    • 22April to 25April
    • "VRM day" will likely be 22April
  • June Workshop - still trying to set dates, likely in Boston

Open Discussion

  • Dean is looking for examples of VRM or things that are like VRM, even if those examples predate the term VRM itself in order to start a file of these examples.
    • Eventful Demand - aggregate user demand to find enough value to have performers show up
  • IT and such
    • Dean spoke with Kevin Marks re the right team of Google people looking at Google Groups (our difficulties may be a test case for Google to repair some of the errors and mishaps that seem to plague ours, and perhaps others', group functions)
    • It appears people are signed/signed up, but can't sign in; sometimes those already signed up just disappear; e-mail seems to be haphazard in reaching some but never the entirety of a subgroup
  • Overlap with Data Portability
    • Both need to start with user
    • Adriana and Joe have had interactions with the DP group

Action Items

  • Dean to connect with Doc regarding date for VRM June Workshop
    • Note: Last year, there was much VRM interest at the Supernova conference. Supernova this year runs 16-Jun through 18-Jun in San Francisco

Next Meeting

March 19 2008 Conference Call