Re: [h2o-discuss] low profile

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:
>Yes, for a time I've been watching Raymond, and I definetely think
>he's a kind of playboy of "Open Software" ( whatever it means).
>Raymond is unable to any major work, so he has to do his best
>in being a braggart.

I don't see how your value judgement about Eric Raymond's pretenstion is applicable here. He's worked on many software projects, and all power to him to work on open-source evangelism.

Eric Raymond is a pricipal of opensource.org. h2o is the principal behind opencode.org. Both promote open stuff. I was curious to find out, what does one say about the other?

h2o presents a vision document prominently on their website:  "The Power of Openness." http://opencode.org/h2o/ . It's a proposed agenda from March 1999 contributed by David Bollier. In section III.A.1.p2 he writes:
The work of open code opinion-leaders would be enhanced if they had more opportunities to meet, converse informally, plan strategically, develop personal relationships, cultivate new institutional collaborations, organize to address common goals, and communicate them with larger constituencies and the general public.
where Raymond has already been suggested as a "opinion-leader" of open-code.

I suppose that h2o has already started to implement this vision. Perhaps they sent out an invitation to Raymond to come aboard, and he interpreted their motives as a "non-software" effort, and thus is dismissing the h2o work in such way.

>It's in http://www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina/TeEncontreX.html
>is a collection of USENET and mailling list articles of TeX.
>I wonder what's the copyright status of such a thing?
>Any commments ?

Good question. The only thing I should add is that sponsors of discussion group forums ought to make it very clear as to how the IP rights are handled... and perhaps the h2o forum can assign a task force to develop to develop these for forum owners.