RE: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

Again, it is not the derivative work that is on general sale
to the public, but rather the translation service for a work
which is owned by the client (rather than the service provider).

A technicality, perhaps.  But a valid one (currently), I think.

> I agree in the distinction between public and private distribution. I
> believe that Napster was public distribution because you are
> sharing with
> the public, there is no discrimination.  Private distribution
> would be with
> close friends via ftp or something, not generally available to anyone.

This was the distinction between Napster and AIMster, IIRC.
AIMster worked through AOL Instant Messaging, so you were only
sharing with people you knew.

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!