Re: [dvd-discuss] The power of a click

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 07:15:46PM +0100, Tom wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 07:11:28PM +0100, Tom wrote:
> > get your facts straight, will you? decss.exe as published by 2600 is a
> > windos executable. source code was released later.
>
> I should clarify that: source code to the original decss.exe was never
> released (as far as I'm aware). other implementations of DVD
> decryption, usually based on different methods (e.g. not using the Xing
> player key, some using different crypto approaches, etc) were later
> released, some of them in source form.

There was source code released for DeCSS.  There were a couple of
versions floating around so it's hard to say exactly which versions
source is available for.  It's obviously Windows code.  One line says
  g_szTitle[] = "DeCSS by MoRE";
... that seems fairly unambiguous.

I'm not confusing this with the original "anonymous" decryption routines
that preceded DeCSS by a few months, nor am I confusing it with css-auth
or any other *nix code.