Re: [dvd-discuss] "limited times" selectively the gov't"gets it"

johnzu@ia.nsc.com has written

>The AARP angle is an interesting one.  Certainly the content of the
>AARP's youth is being held hostage.  The AARP demographic is the least
>likely to be online, and the publication of 40's and 50's music has been
>relegated to the "Time-Life Series" 19.99/disc.  BTW the quality of the
>releases is often terrible, as their is no benefit to restoring them,
>and no competitive product against which quality can be judged.

Also this issue may help people understand the devils bargain of copyright
and patent. We give the monopoly to encourage progress NOT protectionism
for corporations. As .002 has pointed out there really must be some USE
for the product when the term expires or else the term is far too long.
And not just use for ONE single product but a large percentage of them.
BTW ? when the question of limits for copyright and patent are discussed,
that should be taken as an axiom (OK call it Zulauf's Axiom)

>Freeing that content would:
>
>(a) reduce the cost to the customers
>(b) increase the total number of works from their youth available
>
>(and from my POV as a technologist)
>(c) draw a new demographic online
>(d) create a new group interested in internet radios, broadband, network
>"appliances"

But this is true for any copyright material.

>"Our youth is being held hostage!" "Why should Disney own my youth!" ---
>that's a rallying cry.  I can see the sad TV ad campaign featuring a
>grandmother and grandchild sitting still, sad, and silent-- "locked in
>the silence of copyright run amok" or with adults wincing at
>Eminem/Britney-esque MTV and the contrast of "being able to share freely
>the works that moved you in your youth" of a cross-generational party
>atmosphere.  With "sharing the values of a quieter generation" gunk to
>swelling strains of emotional, but copyrighted music.

I can see it now..fade in..

"Grandma. Did you have Britney when you were growing up?"

"No..chil..we had something much better..The Beatles, The Who, The
'Stones"

"Gosh. Who are they?"

"I'd really like to share them with you but I can't get a needle for my
record player,my 8 track tape player has been busted for decades, my
cassette player was confiscated in the RIAA Copyright Infringement Device
Roundup of '03, my CD won't play in these new players, and I can't afford
to buy a new computer with all the copy protection, digital rights
managements software that really works..do you know "row row row your
boat?"..no?..well it goes "row, row, row , your boat, gently down the
steam"..

fade out

>Further if restoration works were granted a new (but still short)
>copyright, then there would be an incentive to commercial interests for
>restored and remastered works, with real competition from the free (and
>freely restored ) copies to force up the quality and down the price.

How do you tell one restored work from another? WATERMARKING? DO people
have to keep track of electronic watermarks to tell what is and what is
not in the public domain? Pick up a book of antique markings (e.g., glass)
sometime and see how difficult that is to sort out.

So if a restored work in the public domain gets copyright protection do
they just keep restoring it ad infinitum and eventually create so many
copies out there that nobody can keep track of which ones are in copyright
and which ones are not. Then the burden is on someone to show that what
they thought was in the public domain reallyw wasn't?

As for the commercial incentive. If the work is in the public domain, then
they get it free ? no copyright, no royalties, no negotiation. FREE. All
they have to put up are the money to restore it and distribute it (which
may be a lot less over the internet). <Now some restorations are extensive
enough that they warrant copyright protection, e.g., Stravinsky's Ballet
"The Right of Spring" but let's not let that extreme case drive all
restorations>

I don't think this is the answer. As per Eldred, the restored work is not
really that original in many instances ? digitizing and running it through
some signal processing software? That puts about as much originality into
it as running it through a 12 band graphic equalizer did 20 yrs ago. It's
mechanical and the mechanical act removes the work from the pubic domain.
Remember that there are NO restrictions on what one can use in the public
domain.

>78v3rc001@sneakemail.com wrote:
>>
>> I was thinking this exact same thing when NPR had a sound bite with
Bush

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/10/21/bush.generic.drugs/index.html