RE: [dvd-discuss] [OT] Money-where-your-mouth-is department

Whether you bought Book+CD or bonus CD free is not relevant. A bonus CD
Free is still a gratuitous transfer of ownership but title has been
passed. The object is now personal property. Personal property can be
disposed of in anyway one desires.. As for the terms writting when bought.
IS the buyer to negociate a contract? Or do we uphold the validity of
shrinkwrap licenses....

Let's consider another hypothetical...there once was this company that had
a great idea. They mailed out in Forbes magazine these scanners. They gave
them away at RadioShafts. They mailed them to people who requested them.
ANd then when people started to use them in ways they didn't like they
mailed out a bunch of letters saying "you are violating our intellectual
property. We didn't give you authorization to reverse engineer our
product"...starts to sound a little too close for my comfort...

I can't remember the case name (Straus vs ?) involving the price of books
around the turn of the (LAST!) century. The publisher put a little notice
in them saying "this book cannot be sold at any price lower than the cover
price". The courts denied that. Similar reasoning may apply here (but I
don't remember the case exactly right now to look it up.)

Richard Hartman <hartman@onetouch.com>
10/11/2002 01:04 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss