Re: [dvd-discuss] DMCA Twist

Bryan Taylor <bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com>
08/29/2002 01:49 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss

        To:     dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [dvd-discuss] DMCA Twist

I am completely baffled by this. First of all, applying a patch to
software
that Apple owns would be simple copyright infringement, since the result
would
be an unauthorized derivitive work. It *might* be fair use if an end user
does
it for interoperability reasons, but for a dealer to do it is almost
certainly
not fair use.

Second, the DMCA prohibits circumvention of TPMs without the authority of
the
copyright holder. I can't identify any TPM that protects Apple's works.
Even if
there were one, the reverse engineering clause should allow bypassing a
TPM to
identify software elements needed for interoperability, so it seems
unlikely
that  any of the DMCA protections would apply.

So basically what we have is an Apple dealer doing something that is
clearly
infringing and Apple sueing them under a different law that they are not
violating. Bizarre. Another possiblity is that CNet is confused.