Re: [dvd-discuss] Hack Back

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 02:22:01AM +0200, Lars Gaarden wrote:
> > He disclosed a technique he has developed that
> [...]
>  > launch a counterattack that paralyzes the offending
>  > machine without damaging it.
>
> Either a newscritter is getting it wrong, or this guy has
> invented the TCP/IP equivalent of a stun-gun.
>
> Does anyone have Mr. Mullen's DefCon speech? I assume that
> he is talking about crafting worm-specific 'antibodies'
> that exploit the same hole as the worm, disable the worm
> and close the hole.

I'm fairly sure that what he's talking about is shutting down the
machine. In laymen's terms, "paralyze" is not the worst description.

The problem here is that messing with the machine's software in any way
is clearly illegal, and undesired. Just shutting it down can be seen as
a viable act of self-defense.

--
http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html
pub  1024D/2D7A04F5 2002-05-16 Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>