Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred v. Ashcroft Accepted for ReviewbySCOTUS

Progress has nothing to do with maximizing anything. It has to do with
increasing rather than stagnating or regressing. It's not having the best
it's making things better. Finding the optimums for some quantity or
strategy (e.g., optimal control) is intellectually seductive but a
pragmatically a pointless exercise.The only things that can be optimized
are simplistic models (e.g., Posner and Landes) that are based upon
questionable assumptions as well as not being structurally stable under
small perturbations or even unique(e..g, whatif the function ISN"T convex)
as well as ignoring many other aspects.

Scott A Crosby <crosby@qwes.math.cmu.edu>
02/20/02 02:47 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss