[dvd-discuss] Pro DMCA Argument Information ?

I trying to put together a position paper to help order my thoughts so that when I'm talking with friends and colleagues about the DMCA I can present coherent reasons.   In order to better develop a clear and concise refutation of the DMCA and the reasons for its existence, I was looking for information on the reasons proponents of the DMCA state it is necessary.  However, a Google search returns an enormous number of hits with most either being an explanation of the Act or opposition to it.  Aside from a generic "We need it to stop piracy", I have been unable to find even a single site, journal or magazine article enumerating the reasons it is necessary when one considers the fact that we already have laws regarding copyright.

Does anyone know of a source or sources that I can reference?