Re: [h2o-discuss] who don?

>considering the extent to which Mr S "plagiarized"
>other playwrights and writers, perhaps this is a
>good idea anyway. (i mean this in jest--but it is
>really quite the same as with Disney and Microsoft--
>once it gets taken out of the public domain who knows
>how it gets back--although copyright is not supposed
>to extend to the original material when a derivative
>work is created, in practice it is hard to determine
>that, and so modern scholarly editions come with new
>copyrights.)

But this has nothing to do with copyright, how can anyone copyright
something that was done AGES ago? You can hold some rare
book and deny all requests to copy it, but not the text per se.

>however, something like a web edition of shakespeare
>would eventually get into copyright problems because it

how?

>archives are hard up for money and don't see why they
>should give away their material, naturally, when they
>can sell it to businesses.

I actually wonder who in fact OWNS these archives, the gov?
the people? Well, if they struggle for money, then
lets scan the whole thing put on the web, thus cutting costs
and close the whole shop. Some selected researchers who need
to read the original paper will pay $$$.

It seems to me that unless this is a private archive,

>i ran into this problem when i asked the Concord (MA)
>"Free" Library for access to any Hawthorne material.

But, is this a private library or what?

>eventually the law and archive practices will catch
>up with modern technology. but it may turn out in
>the end to favor big businesses so much that little
>guys like me are excluded from the web.

that's true. I believe that all these archive/library people are
obsolete now, provided everything is on the web, for free
(as maintance is rather cheap), then, why do we need to keep redundant
entities which now slow things down? This is sad that some nice people will
have to be fired, that's the progress, it is possible to slow it down, but
not to stop.

-Alex