[h2o-discuss] who don?

1)
see
http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/netizen/tkname.html
for a particularly stupid exercise of the
practice of law in intellectual property.

the complaining Don Henley is the same guy who
ran concerts to raise money for WaldenWoods and
gave our money to the Thoreau Institute so they
could slap a new copyright on Thoreau's writings
(previously documented in my posting on
Wild Huckleberries.)

the offending Don Henley says he is crippled and pays
for all this from his own pocket.  guess which
one i listen to (especially since the first one
has no web site of his own nor public way to
contact him).

2)at
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/10/biztech/articles/05soft.html
see a story on the new alliance of MIT and
Microsoft. buried in the details is some
vague statement of how MS is supposed to
help MIT with their Electronic Shakespeare
Archive.  this is the same archive that
couldn't get permission from the Folger
Shakespeare Library to place images of
his folio texts on the web, according to
what we heard May 20.

it seems to me that technology is not the
problem--we already have what it takes to
present a good text archive--it is the
practice of these large corporations that
patent software and keep on coming out with
new products to try to fix their old ones
and incidentally to feed their profit stream--
it is that that is holding up the process,
IMHO.

and they pay lawyers to write nasty letters
to crippled people demanding they change
their identities?

3)
monsanto i heard is stopping work on its
terminator product--it seems that making a
lot of noise does affect these guys--let's
keep it up! even if linus says that open
source will not solve world hunger, it is
worth a try.

--
"Eric"    Eric Eldred      Eldritch Press
mailto:EricEldred@usa.net  http://eldred.ne.mediaone.net/