Re: [h2o-discuss] the DMCA in action

This practice by alleged copyright owners ought to be
exposed and halted.

An off-the-record chat with somebody from my "ISP"
indicates that ALL MP3 servers are being shut down,
on orders of the music publishers.  I use a cable
modem and have a web server at home for my ebooks,
but my contract with the cable modem company does
not specifically say I have the right to run the
web server--only that I do not have the right to
interfere with the service of other customers.
That provision has been used by the @Home cable
system to forbid ALL home servers.  And the MP3
servers are, as pointed out below, just assumed
to contain material infringing on copyright, when
no actual justification for that claim is provided.

Seems to me a good case could be made for violation
of First Amendment rights here.  And a careful
reading of the Digital Millenium [sic] Copyright
Act ought to show that false copyright claims under
the act can be punished by fines.  (Although I do
not think there is such a provision under the No
Electronic Theft Act of 1997, which is probably
more applicable here, even though the threatening
letter is so vague it is hard to tell just what
they are talking about.)

Wouldn't this make a good case for the Berkman
Center?  Can somebody refer this to Simson Garfunkel
for his Boston Globe column and other writings
(I haven't had much success in feeding him stories.)

John, thanks very much for forwarding this unhappy
news to us.  I hope it stimulates an effective
response and I for one am completely in support of
what you are doing!

=eric

--
"Eric"    Eric Eldred      Eldritch Press
mailto:EricEldred@usa.net  http://eldred.ne.mediaone.net/