Re: 2RE: [dvd-discuss] W32.Klez.H infection on of our group member's PC

On Thursday 03 July 2003 21:30, juergen + barbara wrote:
#
# Microsoft recently bought the only company providing AntiVirus help for
# Linux; they are working now for solutions on Windows platforms.  (Why don't
# we have a law against buying a company to then make its products extinct?)

That wasn't an "anti-virus solution" for Linux in the sense that Windows
users mean it.  It was a filter product that allowed Linux mailservers to
check content coming through for malware.

The market for "anti-virus solutions" of the Norton variety for the Unices
is pretty much zilch, per Symantec market research.  The reason is that
the architecture of the systems lends itself very nicely to other defences
such as Tripwire while being _much_ harder to crack in the first place.

# Of course, Viruses on Microsoft platforms are much more popular; but is does
# not mean they won't exist for other operating systems, and viruses for
# products like Oracle, Informix, Microsoft SQL, Adobe Acrobat, etc., etc. are
# also gaining in popularity!  :-(

Yup, someday it'll be an issue.  I was just surprised that someone thought
it had happened already.