Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: TurboTax for free?

On 7 Jan 2003 at 15:49, John Zulauf wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 07 Jan 2003 15:49:43 -0700
From:           	"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: TurboTax for free?

> There seem to be a few differences, though I'm not sure they are
> entirely compelling.  First a disclaimer.
>
> There is clearly a difference between that which is ethical and that
> which is legal.  Ethically, one should respect the intent of the company
> and not attempt to bypass the key.

I will agree that there is a difference between ethics and legality but this is
not a question of ethics. Legally the received CD is a gift given without
consideration. It is the personal property of the recipient. The sender knows
this or should since they can afford to have enough lawyers on the payroll and
if they can't there's always the public library. THerefore, the ethics are
those involving a gift and not those involving intellectual property. The
intention of the company is irrelevant. So what ethical consideration does one
have to give to a corporation that put the imposition of considering an ethical
question on me by mailing me something that I did not ask for, may not
want...having given me this gift, they have no say about what I do with it-or
should have no say. If I choose to crack the code on this gift, that's their
problem because they gave it to me.

> If one objects to the p-spam of
> being sent CD's and wishes to protest, then civil disobedience options
> are open.  Bypassing the key, and then sending a open letter to the
> software company stating that this is a truly bad idea given the ease of
> the "crack".  The more daring might post details or write a paper on the
> "security hole" in the TurboTax key mechanism.  Those living abroad (and
> never planning to visiting the US) might even write a key-crack tool (ah
> to be in Russia in winter -- brrrrr.). Certainly someone was employed to
> create the authorization system, and those trusting it (and/or paying
> for it) it's security should be informed of it's weakness.  Certainly
> Adobe gave up on the ill-fated "fonts on demand" CD's which were cracked
> wholesale (See **0) after the public disclosure of how to unlock every
> font on that doomed disk.  Surprisingly, most folk still paid for fonts
> until MS starting packing so many into Windows free that the average DTP
> user had more than they needed.

I think all of this simply demonstrates the stupidity of allowing access
schemes to create quasi licenses for intellectual property. Personal property
is personal property-no restrictions on use (other than copyright). Licensed
intellectual property is licensed intellectual property-restrictions apply.
Access schemes allow companies to have the advantages of both with no
disadvantages (for them) but only disadvantages to the public. Remember that
all of this is shrinkwrap licensing is just an attempt to make it more
convenient.

> Cracking the software and using it to do your taxes doesn't qualify as
> "civil disobedience" regardless.  To those who think "free stuff ==
> civil disobedience" let me say,
>    "pppphhhhhhhhttttttt!!!!"

Still the question is "what restrictions does one have upon ones personal
property?" IN this case a CD received in the mail. Actually, it is civil
disobedience if enough people do it to demonstrate the stupidity of shrinkwrap
licenses and mass mailing distributions that pervert the boundary between
personal property and licensed intellectual property.

> Onto the legal distinctions:
>
> (1) You have not been sent a functioning copy of TurboTax, you have been
> sent a functioning copy of their installer.  You are free to use that
> installer as much as you want.  You can order a key and the installer
> will then create (from the data it has on disk) a functioning copy of
> TurboTax.  You can type in a bogus key and (with all the pleasure of
> watching the microwave oven) enjoy the pleasure of it's "error" and "did
> not install" message, you can do this to your heart's content -- they
> sent you the disk, it's free.

So what happens when your cracking program gets a valid key?

> If you were mailed a DVD, it would work on any DVD player other DVD's
> work on (region coding aside).
>
> (2) You probably cannot install TurboTax (even if someone sent you a
> valid key) without agreeing to the EULA.  I would be quite shocked if
> the EULA doesn't include some language requiring you to assert that you
> are in possession of a legal acquire right-to-use.  Given that  the
> software you were sent does require an additional transaction, the
> recent EULA voiding case probably doesn't apply.  The free polycarbonate
> disk doesn't look or feel like a sale, as clearly it is noted that you
> need an additional transaction to use the product.

Irrelevant....the disk is personal property and one need not license one's own
personal property or even have permission to access it.

> DVD's don't have a EULA, except to say "private home use" (See **1)
>
> (3) The TPM protecting TurboTax on the disk is clearly pre-first-sale,
> CSS is clearly post-sale.  (What they have in common is that they both
> show that access and copy controls are orthogonal, the TurboTax is key
> protected, but infinitely copiable, as is the DVD)
>
> (4) There is no "reasonable person" expectation that a free CD with
> "instructions say that to access it I need to have internet access and a
> credit card".  You yourself stated: "Obviously this is a protected
> program, with the intention that I pay them before it is unlocked."

Does the reasonable person understand that legally the CD is now personal
property? And if the reasonable person assumes otherwise, then they will be
faced with dealing with every unsolicited piece of "junk contract" (copyleft on
that phrase) received in the mail? If so the the reasonable person may ask why
they need internet access...or why they should be required to deal with these
junk contracts without any consideration or compensation?

> The "reasonable person" assumption for a DVD is that if you stick it
> into a DVD player it will play, without having to spend $29.99 for a
> key.  This is of course why Judge Kaplan is just flat wrong about CSS,
> but that's an old argument.  CSS isn't DivX, and never was -- it doesn't
> protect any *valid* right of a copyright holder. The Paramount case got
> rid of the notion of the right of a copyright holder to control the
> choice of the projector (player).
>
> Finally (and not related to the DVD vs. TurboTax difference.  This is
> comparable to those hideous "1,500 credit advance" checks.  The are
> perfectly cashable, but entail certain contractual obligations if you
> do.  This disk is a functional equivalent, use of it is bound up in
> contract language that you can't just read and pretend doesn't exist.

Not so. The credit advance checks require additional actions outside the
privacy of the home. The checks are an offer for a contract. How is the the
physical medium that contains EVERYTHING and is received in the mail an offer
for a contract? For the checks you sign and cash and the money is moved from
one bank account to another with checks and balances. The latter are lacking
here. Can TurboTax PROVE i've entered into a contract with them?