RE: [dvd-discuss] [OT] elcomsoft/sklyarov jury denied text of law?

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Richard Hartman wrote:
> That does seem to be the goal of the educational system.  Even those
> who manage to get through school with some level of literacy don't get
> taught the basics of government and (actual) history.

We have a very efficient propaganda system that prevents the discussion of
_actual_ history and continually represses democratic ideas.  Such a
system is required to maintain the gross imbalance of power that has
existed as long as this nation has existed.

Of course, I'll take this opportunity to remind y'all of the words of
James Madison, primary author of the Constitution of the United States of
America, spoken at the Constitutional Convention regarding his intent in
the formation of the new system:
   The purpose of government is to protect the opulent minority against
   the majority.

In this, he was extraordinarily successful.

(To Madison's credit, he changed his tune later in life when capitalism
became a common mode of interaction and inequity and private tyranny
grew.)

The questions in school and in the popular histories and news media are
posed in a way where any answer presupposes so much (thus, making the
presuppositions not a matter of discussion and therefore unquestionable)
that meaningful debate of the issue is impossible.  (See Crossfire on CNN
and any other Democrat v. Republican or neoliberal v. neoconservative
debate.)

One thing we are questioning here is the difference between RIGHTS and
right.  In the public mind, they have merged and become
synonymous.  Property is sacrosanct and all things, including life and
liberty, take a back seat.

Where's the reset button?  I wanna go back to the Enlightenment and try
again.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity.
J.
--