Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Transcript Online

On 18 Oct 2002 at 22:14, Jolley wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:14:11 -0500
From:           	Jolley <tjolley@swbell.net>
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Transcript Online
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu

> I think the justices must have been very frustrated with S.G. Olson.

Yes I think so too...

> After repeated questions and run-around answers on what is a limit.

And listening to "COngress in its infinite wisdom can never do wrong and so the
USSC should not even try to understand the wisdom of lawmaking..." would have
left the USSC cold. Congress screws up and the USSC has ruled laws
unconstitionional before...not shortly after the USA was formed too. So there's
ample precedence...

> The justices finally paraphrase Olson's arguments just to see if he
> knows how to say a simple yes (or no).
>
> I like the remark from Justice O'Connor:
>   "But if we affirm here, is there any limiting principle
>    out there that would ever kick in?"
>
> Olson's reply sounded like a no.

The Supremes may try to find some limiting principle if they can...ruling a law
unconstitutional is not to be taken lightly..but then neither is the wholesale
bribery of congress by special interests to get the extension