Re: [dvd-discuss] DVD Annotations Are Here!

> http://www.dvdtracks.com/
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/02/03/25/1754253.shtml?tid=97
>
> Now you too can be a film critic.  This is one of the wonderful things that
> the DMCA makes impossible, but that we here on the dvd-discuss list have
> looked forward to!

This is still a step away from what was discussed on this list last year.
The site mentioned is trying to become a repository for MP3 tracks intended
to be played at the same time as the DVD. The same thing could be done
with VHS tapes.

The concept of downloadable DVD play-lists or subtitle streams is still
evidently some way off. However, if the owner of www.dvdtracks.com gets
hassled as a result of his efforts it might be interesting to see what
happens - especially as Hollywood won't be able to throw the DMCA at him
because (as I said) you could be playing a VHS tape alongside your MP3.

Alternatively (and I don't know what legalities might spring from this) if
the owner of www.dvdtracks.com gets left alone but the first site offering
play-lists or subtitle streams gets hassled it might be interesting to
drag it to court under the defence that "hey it was OK for www.dvdtracks.com,
why is suddenly different for www.dvdplaylists.com?".

--

Steve Hosgood                               |
steve@caederus.com                          | "A good plan today is better