Re: [dvd-discuss] Slashdot article - Canadian Tariffs

Yes..if the media content providers are trying to use DRM to limit Fair
Use, then this is a natural balance to that...but not a desireable one.
The problem with the whole approach  is that it's a tax that only is for
the benefit of a special interest for possible infringement that may be
happening to some degree. If 50% of the CDRs sold are used for copying
CDs, then 50% are used legitimately and the tax on them is FREE money to
them for no reason taken from legitimate users who don't infringe. (No
taxation without representation?). At that point, what reason do people
have to respect copyright?

Also consider this. Not adjusting for the rate of exchange  but $1.23 is
close to the cost of producing the physical CD (Which is about $1.50 I
think). The tax is pretty much just reimbursing the cost of producing the
CD that they DIDN"T have to produce because somebody copied it and is in
fact their actual monetary losses rather than their retail loss. At that
point, the copyright holders have been reimbursed for any losses by
society and so society has no interest in dealing with copyright
infringement cases any further-copyright infringment no longer is a crime
and no longer is even a civil matter. I don't think that this is what the
copyright holders want but...it's want they might get.

"Ernest Miller" <ernest.miller@aya.yale.edu>
03/12/02 04:00 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss