Re: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

Probably. The copyright holder has derivative rights as well. A subtitled
version would be a derivative work.
The real question would be if a program that put subtitles onto the screen
while your DVD was playing would run afoul of copyright. Given the goofy
renderings from the courts these days (e.g., Hollis-Eden v. Wells for the
latest) I'd bet money that a lower court would so judge.

Jim Bauer <jfbauer@comcast.net>
02/28/02 06:16 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss