Re: [dvd-discuss] [openlaw] Governmenttakesmoreextremelineinsecond "Eldred" case

Ronald Austin wrote:
> One more thing I just
> thought of what happens in 2 years when Microsoft changes something in their
> OS that breaks the built-in player.

This is the best question yet.  As it is certainly out of the control of
the record companies to ensure that their software is *never* broken by
a future MS O/S doesn't the CD fail to meet some minimum
"merchantability" or "fitness" test in terms of consumer protection
law.  The are advertising this product as an audio recording capable of
playback on Windows computers, but it's enduring value to the consumer
is in grave danger by a 3rd party.

Each of us has (or could have) a bookcase, box, or filing cabinet full
of software that doesn't really run right on modern Window's OS's.  What
happens to that bright shiny new UMG album next year when MS launches
it's Mira remote desktop products ... as with current Thin Clients...
bad apps have been known not be RDP friendly.

I repeat my prediction.  UMG will fail, and then blame internet pirates
(as all the works will STILL be available online the day the product
ships).  The ONLY defense any copyright holder *ever* really has is the
goodwill of the customers -- and UMG has spit in it's customers faces.

.002