Re: [dvd-discuss] The Touretsky and Shamos debate at CMU.

At 11:46 am -0500 12/1/01, Scott A Crosby wrote:
>His refutation of it is that you can easily avoid 'breaking the law' by
>not distributing code. The law doesn't have to mold itself to your
>convenience.

I apologize for being slow but I don't understand how this is a
successful refutation. The First Amendment protects speech from the
desires and whims of minorities and majorities and the laws they
might pass. I don't have to avoid "breaking the law"; laws have to
avoid breaking the First Amendment. I remain mystified how the DMCA
has not been held up to scrutiny based on conflict with the First
Amendment.

I wonder if the lawyers and judges involved in these cases understand
the cultural crossroads at which we stand poised. If all they do is
offer their own muddled ideas about 'functional' speech while
upholding an abomination like the DMCA, a whole segment of society
(the people who actually make technology work) will hold such
sophistry and all that flows from it in utter contempt. At this point
I suspect the only thing that restrains such a reaction is the
expectation that once these issues reach the Supreme Court we will
get a very different result than we've seen so far.