RE: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

>It was never guaranteed that authors and inventors would make a profit;
>the deal that society made was that they were just given the first
>opportunity to do so before it reverted back to the public.  If they
>don't like the deal, then keep it a trade secret and use it until
>someone figures out how they did it or discovers for themselves.

The point of the original posting was that there are differences between
patents and copyright works. That was recognized 200+ yrs ago and they
were treated differently. Of interest is that the original term for
copyright was less than that of patent but it was quickly changed. One
other difference, as you point out, is that I CAN keep an invention secret
and still gain something from that. Keeping copyright material secret is
impossible - or was until changes to the copyright code in the last few
decades. But the intention was to promote publication.

While true that it is never guaranteed that authors and inventors would
make a profit, that argument belies the fact that both patent and
copyright are a balancing act between the personal gain of the
inventor/author/creator and the benefit to society.

>Notice
>that I said 'back', they never 'owned' the idea, they just had a limited
>lease on its use.  They of necessity built upon the ideas of others. Sir
>Isaac Newton said it best "If I have seen farther than others, it is
>because I was standing on the shoulders of giants".  Not that I would
>characterize Disney productions as works of a giant (maybe a dwarf), but
>the reasoning holds true.
>
>I don't begrudge authors and inventors their right to make a living of
>their work; I do object to the reasoning that they have a right to it
>for 5 generations.

5 generations = 100yrs, that's what we have now and that is ridiculous for
ANYTHING! (As I posted earlier, I don't even know if most PAPER lasts that
long) and nobody is arguing that point (except if Jack Valenti or Mary
Bono are lurking about?) But, the excluded middle is also a fallacy. John
Z.s argument is that the work enters into the public domain sometime in
the next generation which puts the term somewhere larger than 28 and less
than 50yrs.

>Your first statement would almost support either the same or shorter
>terms for copyright than for patents.  I remember reading that the
>founders (I looking for the references now) never intended for an idea
>to be held in a monopoly. They never intended for someone to be able to
>secure a patent or copyright on an idea; only the unique expression of
>the idea such as an invention or a book.  A least not until recently,
>that had held true.

You noticed that too! Not only can one hold the monopoly, one doesn't even
have to expose it under copyright, trade secret, or even patent law (e.g.,
software patents-Analytical Graphics Inc's software patents). By clever
obfuscation, they can claim control over an idea (e.g, Bracewell's patent
for the Hartley transform, or some of Karmacker's patents in linear
programming). Intellectual property theory and practice is a total mess
right now.

> How allowing a patent on a business process or on a
>naturally occurring gene sequence (I realize that really started in the
>'70s) promotes the arts and sciences requires such twisted thinking that
>I have a hard time getting my mind around it.

Twisted is right. A gene sequence is not even an idea. It is a FACT.
Promoting science by patenting facts is a perversion of the foundations of
intellectual property by the greedy and self serving.

> I'm an engineer; I had a
>easier time with string theory than following the reasoning behind this
>decision (and many others).  Maybe I need to go to law school to learn
>how to string together irrational and illogical ideas ;-)

They call it rhetoric. BTW - for a great comparison and contrast of those
two, read the Lincoln Douglas debates. Lincoln's logic continually
assailed Douglas's irrational rhetoric

>Please pardon the intended and unintended puns - I realize that they are
>the lowest form of humor and a sign of a sick mind but I just can't seem
>to stop myself.

No problem?I'm prone to them myself. As the lowest form of humor, only
those with a quick wit and large vocabulary seem to be able to understand
them one of my favorite puns I've ever made is when I told a woman I know
who had just had her cat neutered "Oh you made him a catstratii"   ;-)