Re: [dvd-discuss] Would this consistute circumvention.

Michael A Rolenz wrote:

> Actually, there are provisions in the copyright code for use of works in
> schools, I think that they may apply.....Did you try turning off the
> autoload feature of the CDROM...that way the cd can't autolaunch and you
> can't be accused of circumventing their cheezy player. OHMYGOD!  turning
> off autolaunch is now circumventing too! Maybe the "effective" word comes
> to mind here...

Actually I didn't attempt to play the CD using the standard player -- it
probably would have worked.  Their built-in player STUNK too!  Aside
from the low quality, cheesy diso-fever pose teeny-bopper targeted image
of "Mr. La Vida Loca" himself which comprised 90% of the control dialogs
pixels was the excreble UI performance, 3-5 seconds from clicking a
play/ff/stop to any action... no visual confirmation of control clicks,
and the CD-text of currently playing song was NOT correctly updated.

Two things worry me here.

First is whether the record companies think that "obfuscation" is a 1201
effective TPM (and whether they could convince the FBI of it).  This of
course would put a whole class of very useful software at risk.

Second is the "built-in player" softening up the public (targeting the
youth first) to (1) assume that audio CD's don't have audio data that
they can or should access -- and (2) to allow them to deploy arbitrary
use control players (encrypted whatever) hidden behind the facade of
accepted use of those targeted players.

Actually having executables that autoplay on what is usually considered
a benign, data-only format, would be any amazing way to spread some
timebombed, viruses on a CD-ROM -- or software that looked for, report
(and/or corrupt) MP3 files or P2P connections!!!  Given the RIAA
*already* thinks they have a right to stealthy search without warrant
(they just wanted damage indemity in the failed amendment to the ATA) I
wouldn't put it past them.  Little Johnny buys the Backstreet Boys and
it sends the RIAA and FBI an email.  To quote Darth Vader in Star Wars
episode V -- "all too easy..."

Am I getting (even more) paranoid?

.002