Re: [dvd-discuss] Would this consistute circumvention.

I certainly vote for marginally redundant over vague and overreaching.
Actually it matches the congressional record better than the current
language.  Adding "for purposes of copyright infringement" keeps
pre-first-sale circumventions, and hacked cable and sattelite boxes or
smart card all illegal, while eliminating the horribles associated with
the current "function" (does it circumvent) vs. "purpose" (is it
intended for infringing copyrights) definition.

It would certainly address Sklyarov, Felton, and Corely cases and
concerns.  As a "purpose" component of the definition would require a
less simplistic argument then was used by the Adobe/FBI, SDMI, and
Kaplan -- respectively.  Valid non-infringing (as opposed to
non-circumventing) uses are thus a defense and this fine group would
have been celebrating success now.

Given the congressional record, I wonder if the appeal court will find a
"purpose" requirement in the "umbra and emanations" of the DMCA to save
it or toss the law out with pointed commented about what would have.