Re: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

Yes. And that's the whole point of patent law. You want protection. You
disclose and the government gives it to you. You don't want to disclose.
You have no protection under the law and it's up to you to protect it. The
whole notion that the government should protect the private dealings of
people contradicts that fundamental principle. The proper place for trade
secret theft is the civil courtrooms with monetary damages and/or
injunctions. Furthermore, when somebody alleges that a trade secret was
stolen it should be up to them to provide ANY proof before ANY actions are
taken and not just walk up infront of a judge and say "they stole my trade
secret because they know what it is". PROVE it. But what is a trade secret
must truly be one.  As I recall Frank Stevenson did the analysis of CSS in
a few evenings. CSS is too trivial to qualify for trade secret since the
only merit it possesses as a trade secret is the SECRECY of it.

Bryan Taylor <bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com>
11/01/01 06:53 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss