Re: [dvd-discuss] Microsoft Reader encryption broken too

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 01:31:52PM -0700, D. C. Sessions wrote:
> It's actually better than that.  The fair-use scenario comes up
> when everyone *does* do what they're supposed to, since the
> current crop of DVDs are locked to 525-line NTSC video.  So
> when the American public decides to be loyal and obediently
> buys the New, Improved! HDTV sets, their old DVDs (although
> containing perfectly scalable MPEG files) suddenly won't play
> any more because the DVD "magic header" which doesn't let
> you skip all of those Exciting Offers also won't let you play the
> silly thing at any other resolution.  So, being Loyal Consumers,
> we will all troop off to replace our video libraries once again.

don't shoot too fast on that one.

software DVD players - both "authorized" and free ones - will readily
scale the output to any dimension you wish. I don't see why hardware
DVD players shouldn't do the same to HDTV.

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org