Re: [dvd-discuss] Code as (commercial) speech?

The "commercially significant" seems to be a carry-over from the
contributory patent infringement standard applied to copyright in the
Betamax case.  While it might work for physical circumvention devices (at
least those without aesthetic virtues), the test gives funny results for
software-speech-information.  "Serious literary, artistic, political, or
scientific purpose" (the standard when balancing speech versus obscenity)
might still be commercially insignificant.

Yet another reason for interpreting the statutory language not to include
code among potential circumvention "technology, product, service, device,
component, or part thereof"-- it just doesn't fit the mold.

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@seltzer.com
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School