Re: [dvd-discuss] Stores claim pricelists covered by DMCA

To my mind this illustrates the pitfalls of a bad law like the DMCA.
When wrongly interpreted, the very language of the law can make it a
vehicle for the hijacking of the Internet for commercial purposes.
Slowly, quietly, we are all losing our freedom of expression and our
free speech rights that should be guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

When I first became involved in the Internet in 1994, I felt that the
strongest aspect of the medium was the way that the "little guy" could
compete on a level playing field with the big corporations.  Yet as the
Internet becomes progressively dominated by large corporations, I
believe we are actually witnessing its demise.  As websites are
prosecuted for so-called criminal violations based on content, we are
seeing the very foundations of the Internet come under attack.  At one
time I used to be convinced that truth and justice would always prevail
on the Internet, but after the abuse of the DMCA by large corporations,
it's becoming "The best Internet money can buy."

To my mind this is unfortunate.  If users can't freely share information
on the 'net, they will lose interest in it.  No matter how much
retailers would like to believe that the Internet is merely a large
shopping mall, it is (or should be) much more than that.  But who is to
stop large corporations from abusing our free speech rights if nobody
stands up to them in the courts?  And as long as corporations can afford
to bid for the best legal counsel, it is likely to be a challenge for
groups like the EFF to resist them.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Glendon Gross