Re: [dvd-discuss] DMCA Twist

On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 09:57  am, Michael A Rolenz wrote:

> but hey remember that reverse
> engineering is legal under the DCMA isn't it?

I believe what Apple was claiming is specifically that "reverse
engineering" and commercial distribution of the resulting patch was in
violation of the DMCA. I think Apple and many others know that this
doesn't really stop the practice of 'enabling' software to function
better than its creators intended (in this case allowing it to work
with more DVD-R burners). It just extracts a cleverness tax. If you
aren't sufficiently aware and clever, your software is less capable
than it could be.

I remain stunned that the DMCA has not been thrown out by the courts as
unconstitutional (no matter how many legislators you buy there should
be some laws you can't have). Given that background I'm relieved there
only seems to be an effort to inhibit commercial distribution in this
case.

There is also another, less sinister interpretation of the events. The
software, iDVD, is "free" software that is bundled with Macs that have
the superdrive (more than half of all shipping Macs currently). Since
it includes MPEG 2 compression capability Apple is on the hook for
licensing rights to the MPEG LA. I would imagine that Apple pays a
licensing fee according to how many superdrives they ship (as many of
you know these licensing fees are not trivial). If they don't make an
effort to inhibit this enhancement they might be on the hook for a
considerably higher licensing fee without corresponding revenue.