RE: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

No, I think that is overreaching.

> > It is work that
> > was performed using _their_ resources and any
> > use made of the result that did not conform to
> > their requirements would be a "theft of services"
> > IMO.
>
> If I save an AltaVista page, and then make copy of it, I have violated
> their rules. Is that "theft of services"? I don't need to go
> anywhere near
> their services to make that second copy (or, for that matter,
> to do a lot
> of the other things they try to forbid).

Again, I think that is overreaching.  If you took that copy
and posted it on your web site ... debatable.  If you embedded
a virtual include using a link that caused the search to be
re-done every time your page was displayed (especially w/ no
indication that you were accessing their search engine), that
would be crossing the line.

All of the above IMHO, of course.

> I agree that they have the right to restrict any actual use of their
> machines, including automated queries etc., as long as you
> are actually
> using their resources to do it. But apart from that, any use of the
> information you have received should be restricted by the law, and not
> their (much stricter) rules.

I think we are pretty much in agreement then.