Re: [dvd-discuss] DoS Dirty Tricks (was Movie Downloads, automatically illegal?)

On 6 Aug 2002 at 11:13, Tim Neu wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:13:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:           	Tim Neu <tim@tneu.visi.com>
To:             	<dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] DoS Dirty Tricks (was Movie Downloads,
automatically
	illegal?)

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Michael A Rolenz wrote:
>
> > I like that one...given Pat Schroeder's comments about how libraries are
> > the single biggest threat to the publishing industry, they are likely to
> > be DoSing libraries as well.
> >
> > Or the ISPs begin blocking the RIAA, MPAA, DoS packets because it's net
> > junk that is degrading their system performance.
>
> My guess is that they would not be dumb enough to run the attacks from
> their normal internet connection.   They would probably use something
> harder to trace.   Even though they would have immunity, they would still
> want to minimize exposure if they can.

Probably true but then how can people tell them from the evil hackers
disrupting the Internet with DoS services...Now consider "law enforcement".
They have to expend resources to find out "OH this is a legal hacker [a
Lacker?]"

> > Or the script kiddies decide to band together and do DDoS attacks against the
> > RIAA, MPAA
>
> The script kiddies will hopefully be too smart for that.  Why break the
> law yourself if you can trick the MPAA & RIAA into doing it?  I'm sure the
> content mafia will _try_ to make sure the addresses they attack are
> individual accounts, rather than corporate websites, however, if they have
> a person review every IP in a P2P network their enforcement will not
> scale, and if they do not, they risk overattacking.  Given the lessons
> learned in internet filters, they will err on the side of the latter.
>
> The global nature of the internet might also present some interesting
> options.  In theory, movie execs could be jailed in other countries for
> the illegal actions of their technical staff.  Immunity in the US does not
> mean squat globally.

Yeah...if France, Italy, Greece, Cayman Islands and some other placed started
procecuting them, they'd be stuck in the USofA for vacations.

> If they are smart they will try their best to limit attacks to US-based
> hosts, but I think it would be pretty hard to distingish an ISP account
> being dialed-into from outside the country, not to mention sattilite
> internet access.
>
> The other side of this is that the content folks have enough lawyers that
> they _should_ be aware of some of these risks.   I would imagine, though,
> it would be pretty easy to set up a decoy by just using CDDB filenames and
> running from a server in the US.
>
> > Or imagine this...some quick thinking Movie Cop sets up a honeypot and
> > another Movie Cop gets caught and they DoS each other
>
> Now that would be neat.  I would also venture to suggest that it will be
> possible and that someone will figure out a way to do it, if this law
> passes.

COuld be nice if they have to pay a $1 fine for every bad DoS packet...they'd
be bankrupt so fast that all of this problem would go away.