Re: [dvd-discuss] What is a "Technological Measure"?

On 12 Jun 2002 at 16:52, Roy Murphy wrote:

From:           	"Roy Murphy" <murphy@panix.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Date sent:      	Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:52:07 -0500
Subject:        	[dvd-discuss] What is a "Technological Measure"?

> Quoting the DCMA:
> 1201(a)(3) As used in this subsection -
> (A) to ''circumvent a technological measure'' means to descramble a
>     scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work, or otherwise to
>     avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, or impair a technological
>     measure, without the authority of the copyright owner; and

The obvious Defense: I BOUGHT THE DA*MNED DVD therefore I have the authority of
the copyright owner at sale to access it. THerefore ANY circumventing I do is
LEGAL.

> (B) a technological measure ''effectively controls access to a work''
>     if the measure, in the ordinary course of its operation, requires
>     the application of information, or a process or a treatment, with
>     the authority of the copyright owner, to gain access to the work.

Look at the subtle shift of the law here. THe authority of the copyright owner
to gain access to the work passed at first sale right? Not now...it must be
demonstrated at every access even if you did it a thousand times before. No
flames about how stupid I've been to never really appreciate the subtleness of
that clause. While the courts quibble over nuances, what they don't realize is
that the FOUNDATION just shifted under them