[dvd-discuss] Extending copyright discourages the creation of new works.

I was reading the National Writer's Union amicus brief for Eldred v.
Ashcroft, and the thought occurred to me:

Given that the publishing industry has a finite budget, they will only pay to
publish a certain number of (books/CDs/movies).  If they have a choice between
spending money on publishing an older work that still sells (Gone With The
Wind, The Beatles, Steamboat Willie) versus new works of unknown potential,
they will almost certainly go with the tried-and-true, at least in part, and
spend less on publishing new works.  This means the market for new works is
decreased, because the publishing companies don't have the incentive to seek
them out when they can go on publishing the same old stuff.

Sorry if this was obvious and/or discussed before.