Re: [dvd-discuss] Security constraints on email?

At 6:28 pm -0800 4/3/02, microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:
>I got this from a senator I sent my comments on the SSS-CA or whatever it is
>now to.....Security constraints? Does anyone know what that's about?

I can take a wild guess. While it is certainly possible to try to
spoof an official letter from a source such as a member of Congress,
it would not surprise me to learn that doing so would be in violation
of some law that carries an unpleasant punishment. On the other hand
if it were known that a member of Congress used e-mail for official
communications spoofing might be seen as an opportunity for mischief.
Of course by using digital signatures it is possible to make e-mail
much less vulnerable to spoofing but I didn't mean to imply the
restriction on using e-mail was rational.