[dvd-discuss] Protecting Creative Works in a Digital Age (plain text)

[This was previously sent in html format. I apologize for the
inconvenience. -- agr]

March 18, 2002

The United States Senate
Committee on the Judiciary
Washington D.C.
Via E-mail to usercomments@judiciary.senate.gov

Re: Protecting Creative Works in a Digital Age: What is at stake for
Content Creators, Purveyors and Users?

I oppose proposals, like the SSSCA, that require  Digital Rights
Management (DRM) technology in all digital devices because they
radically shift the balance of power between information producers
and the public.  Orwellian is the best word to describe such laws.
They are part of a broad effort on the part of the media industry to
gain complete control over information, with prior efforts directed
at extending copyright duration, fighting copying technology, killing
digital audio tape and even attempting to block the introduction of
the VCR.

The creation of the personal computer and the Internet is one of the
great achievements of American technology, and one that offers
profound hope for our future. The media companies are trying to
commandeer this technology to gain a new means of distribution at
little or no cost to themselves. Why should they be permitted to
cripple this engine of progress just so they can enhance their
profits? No one is forcing media companies to release their precious
content in digital form that can be played on personal computers.  It
is a choice they continue to make in the face of the obvious risks
and they should live with the consequences.

But the dangers of this latest proposal go far beyond the economic.
Here are some scenarios where SSSCA would undermine basic public
rights to access and use information:

Balkanization of Human Culture
One sign of what a DRM world would be like is already apparent with
DVDs. The Motion Picture Industry Association has arbitrarily divided
the world into six "zones." Movies recorded on DVDs for one zone are
not usable on DVD players in the other zones. If you buy a DVD on a
trip to Europe or Mexico, you can't play it when you get home.
Movies that  lack a large market, because they are not in English or
are too local in content, are unlikely to be released in a North
American version (Zone 1), so U.S. citizens can never watch them.  Is
this what Congress intended when it passed the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act?  SSSCA will only make things worse.

The New Iron Curtain
In the future, repressive governments may insist that media players
imported into their territory have their DRM technology adapted so
that it can block any unapproved works. Only media that has a digital
signature from a government censor will be playable. As new digital
devices come to dominate information commerce, these governments will
be able to totally control what movies, songs, political tracts, TV
programs and news stories are available to their citizens. Any U.S.
citizen who tried to create material that would bypass the censor
would be subject to criminal prosecution under SSSCA.

If you think I'm exaggerating, consider this: China already has its
own DVD zone -- number 6. Suppose I were to re-recored for zone 6 a
copy of "Kundun," the Walt Disney feature film about the Dalai Lama's
escape from Chinese-occupied Tibet. Doing this would allow a friend
in China could play it on his DVD player. Right now I might be
subject to a $2000 fine for an act of circumvention under the DMCA.
Under SSSCA, I would be committing a felony.

Revisionism by Law
In the past when an organization issued a public statement, it became
part of the public record. In the future organizations can issue
statements, advertisements, stock solicitations, etc. in the form of
protected, time limited documents using DRM technology. If the
statement proves to be embarrassing, inconvenient or otherwise
problematical, they can simply erase it from their records or even
alter it to eliminate the problem text or to add exculpatory
material. Anyone who attempted to save a readable copy of the
original that would catch their fraud would be subject to criminal
prosecution under SSSCA.

No More Free Public Libraries
Ben Franklin himself invented the public library and publishers have
been seething ever since.  The free public library has been a
cornerstone our democracy, allowing people of all economic classes to
access our common culture. The Digital Rights Movement will
effectively kill Franklin's concept by establishing the pay per view
business model as the prime mode of publishing. Public libraries will
become retail kiosks for collecting access fees. Already advanced
information services like Lexis charge rates well beyond what the
poor can afford. That is the DRM vision of the future.

Harvard University was named after John Harvard because he donated
his library to the fledgling college. In the future scholarly
material will be delivered to each professor in a DRM format keyed to
the professor's player or smart card. When he or she dies, no one
will be able to access his or her lifetime of accumulated material
per SSSCA.

Secret Fundraising Letters
An issue in the last New York Senate campaign was whether one
candidate had espoused positions in his fundraising letters that
differ from those he stated in public. The public certainly has an
interest in knowing about such behavior. In the future, politicians
will deliver fund raising material using time limited DRM technology.
An opposing candidate that attempts to introduce copies into the
public debate would criminally violate SSSCA.

The End of the Paper Trail
Already companies are programming internal e-mail systems to erase
messages from archives after a few months. Soon companies will
distribute internal memos in a time limited DRM format that can only
be played on company computers. The software that plays these memos
will not permit them to be saved in a neutral format.  This will
effectively eliminate the paper trail that is used to prosecute
white-collar crime and end whistle blowing as we know it. Enron's
auditors would not have had to shred documents if they had access to
the type of technology SSSCA would mandate.

I fear we will discover other, more insidious, unintended
consequences of this dangerous proposal. It lays the groundwork for
total control over electronic expression.  "1984 was not a novel,
it's just another high tech product plan with an overoptimistic ship
date."

Respectfully submitted,

Arnold G. Reinhold
14 Fresh Pond Place