[dvd-discuss] Re: DMCA Blocks Import for Fair Use?

(Forwarded from DMCA discussion list,
dmca_discuss@lists.microshaft.org)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [DMCA_discuss] Shafted by the DMCA - update
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:46:42 -0600
From: "Kroll, Dave" <Dave_Kroll@cargilldow.com>

According to Customs:

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/impoexpo/impoexpo.htm

Protest

Within 90 days after the date of liquidation or other
decision, an importer or consignee may protest the decision
and receive an administrative review.  The protest is filed
with the port director whose decision is being protested. At
the time the initial protest is filed, the importer or
consignee must make a request for further review if one is
desired. Review of the port director's decision by the
Customs Service Center or Headquarters is then automatic.
Notice of the denial of all or part of the protest will be
mailed to the person filing the protest or to his agent. Any
person whose protest has been denied may contest the denial
by filing a civil action in the United States Court of
International Trade.

also

There are also restrictions on the importation of certain
trademarked and copyrighted articles. (For further
information see Customs Publication No. 549 U.S. Customs and
Protection of Intellectual Property Rights.)

(emphasis added)

Publication 549 appears to be the following:

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-exp2/ipr/iprbroch.htm

This development concerns me greatly, since my wife thrives
on Region 2 Buffy DVD's.

David Kroll