[dvd-discuss] Update on DMCA Import Block

(Forwarded from DMCA Discussion list,
dmca_discuss@lists.microshaft.org)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [DMCA_discuss] Shafted by the DMCA - update
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:18:25 -0600
From: Colin McMillen <mcmi0037@tc.umn.edu>

Update on this situation: earlier today, I received a phone
message from an employee of UPS. The message was as follows:

"This is [name removed] from UPS. I'm returning your call in
regards to your shipment from Hong Kong that has been denied
entry. US Customs has denied entry on this shipment because
it is a copyright violation...."

[5-second pause]

"... and that is why they have denied the entry on it. If
you have any further questions you can reach me at [number
removed]."

I called the employee back, and was basically informed that
there was nothing I can do. She said she could not give out
any contact information regarding the person responsible for
the customs rejection. She also stated that there is no way
to overturn the customs decision after it has been made. The
item has supposedly been sent back to the shipper, so I'm
hoping to at least get a refund.

Meanwhile, a kind individual here in the US has agreed to
sell me two of his cables, so at least I'll have the
appropriate materials for my class soon.

- Colin McMillen