Re: [dvd-discuss] dmca international?

Interesting argument which, without a clearer understanding of German
copyright law cannot be decided for certain. However the point is that it
must be German copyright law and not American. That means that there should
be something pointing to an article of German law which requires that this
protection should be extended to German copyright, because the basic Berne
position is in this case, American copyright owners get the same protection
in Germany as German copyright owners get in Germany. American copyright
owners to not get to apply American law in any court in the world.

There are international agreements on top of that and the passing of the DCMA
was supposed to put some WIPO agreements into American law I seem to
remember, If those same agreements have been been legislated for in Germany
then Adobe might possibly have a case. But it is a question of German law and
therefore we are not talking about the direct exportation of the DCMA.

From general principles therefore I think your legal eagle is wrong, unless
there is some particular reference to German law in your opinion, ask for an
opinion from an expert in the field.

Simmons