Re: [dvd-discuss] "Dmitry Sets the Record Straight"

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 02:12:10AM +0100, Mikael Pawlo wrote:
> Attorney's Office. Most important: Sklyarov states that there was no plea
> bargain made between Dmitry and the U.S. Attorney's Office. I don't get it
> - the message from the US Attorney's Office points in a different
> direction, and why was Sklyarov released if he did not make a deal?

state attornies are - to the best of my knowledge - under some pressure
to get a good conviction ratio. so they tend to be reluctant to pursue
cases that are doubtful. it appears that the SA in this case came to
the conclusion that his case against dmitry is weak, but the one
against elcomsoft is good, so by concentrating on that one, he has a
higher chance of success.

--
http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html
pub  1024D/D88D35A6 2001-11-14 Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>