[dvd-discuss] Re: [free-sklyarov] adobe DMCA letters

on Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 10:44:59AM +0100, Tom (tom@lemuria.org) wrote:
> through channels I won't disclose, I learned about this interesting
> email that are sent to ISPs in the name of adobe:
>
> DMCA Letter
>
> Dear Sirs:
>
> Adobe Systems Inc. has authorized BayTSP.com to act as its agent for
> copyright infringement notification. The spidering of the peer-to-peer
> networks has detected infringement(s) originating from your customer's
> IP address, as detailed in the attached report.
>
> Therefore, this letter is an official notification under provisions of
> section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to effect removal of
> the detected infringement(s) listed in the attached report and to have this
> customer refrain from trading our client's copyrighted works in the future.
> The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, the
> Universal Copyright Convention, as well as bilateral treaties with other
> countries allow for protection of our client's copyrighted works even beyond
> US borders.
>
> The attached documentation specifies the IP address of the source of the
> infringement. The Bay File ID identifies the copyrighted works by title. We
> hereby demand that your customer immediately remove the offending material
> in an expeditious manner, as specified in the copyright laws, and refrain
> from infringing on our client's copyrighted materials in the future.
>
> BayTSP has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner
> complained of in the attached report is not authorized by Adobe Systems
> Inc., its agent, or the law. The information provided herein is accurate
> to the best of our knowledge.
>
> BayTSP hereby swears under penalty of perjury that BayTSP is authorized to
> act on behalf of Adobe Systems Inc. for matters pertaining to notification
> of infringements of its exclusive rights in its copyrighted material.
>
> Please send us a prompt response indicating the actions you have taken to
> resolve this matter. Please reference BayTSP Notification ID in your
> response.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Bill Attinger, CEO
> BayTSP
> 3150 Almaden Expressway Suit 234
> San Jose, CA 95118
> (408) 979-7900
> DMCA@baytsp.com
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> interesting tidbits:
>
> - Adobe still believes strongly in the DMCA
> - they are still technically and otherwise incompetent (even the name of
>   the peer-to-peer service was spelled wrong in the attached complaint)
> - they believe US law extends beyond US borders.

What's the nature of the works that Adobe is seeking infringement claims
on?  Are these infringed works of Adobe (e.g.:  software or publications
copyrighted by Adobe), or are there copies of, say, the AEBR in the wild
which Adobe's trying to take down WRT 512.

I continue to maintain that the 512 take-down safe-harbor provisions are
an unconstitutional usurption of judiciary powers by the legislature, in
that compliance with the law provides legal amnesty for ISPs.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org