From: Richard Hartman [mailto:hartman@onetouch.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 4:58 PM
To: 'dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu'
Subject: RE: [dvd-discuss] Draft of upcoming article

D'accord.  This whole issue about something
being a "defense" against the charge of infringement,
but requiring that the charge be brought before the
defense can be presented seems a bit bass ackwards
to me.

Perhaps it is due to the fact that "fair use" must
be determined on a case-by-case basis, therfore it
must be brought before the jury before it can be
decided?

Face it ... if the law deliniated (sp?) the fair
uses as X, Y and Z (but no more) then we'd be up
a creek when somebody came up w/ a new fair use
(possible when new technologies rear their heads
... as in the case of desiring to play a legally
purchased DVD on a computer running Linux when no
commercial player has been made available ...)

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!