Re: [dvd-discuss] The power of a click

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:10:33AM -0600, Steve Stearns wrote:
> Perhaps on appeal, assuming that there is an appeal, it might be useful
> to demonstrate how many clicks it really takes.  I mean, at best, you at
> least have to go through and compile DeCSS.  That means you have to know
> how to use said compiler and actually have that compiler available. I
> suspect the average windows user probably doesn't have a compiler.

get your facts straight, will you? decss.exe as published by 2600 is a
windos executable. source code was released later. after the california
trial had started, prior to the NY trial. 2600 probably linked to those
source code versions, too. but the computer program known as decss is a
windos binary.

> Then, once compiled, isn't this a command line tool?  So you have to
> have enough computer knowledge to figure out how to use the tool.

no, it is not. it is a GUI tool. there were over 15,000 download
locations for decss last I checked. why don't you go to one of them,
get yourself a copy and take a few looks? come back when you know what
you're talking about.

> at that point can you create VOB files without DeCSS encoding?  I'm not
> sure.  What other tools do you need?

none. go download and look.

--
http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html