Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: The Grounds for Appeal

--- Claus Fischer <claus.fischer@clausfischer.com> wrote:

> Also we should not concede that the code is functional because
> it is not. I have never seen code that was functional.
> The only thing that is functional is code being executed on a
> computer. The combination of a computer and code can be functional.
> This would be a device. The computer, without a doubt, is a device
> in its own right. The computer with the code being executed on it
> is perhaps a circumvention device. But code without a computer is
> not a device, and is not functional. Never, ever.
> Not unless we give yield to paranormal phenomena of `intelligence
> condensating into matter' or other stuff for SF movies. All very nice,
> and it may even have had some validity during the first second of
> the universe. But never since.

I couldn't agree with you more on this. I think the key point for the next
phase is to hammer the distinctions between these three concepts:

1. pure speech expressing functional ideas
2. "functionality" = a device capable of allowing a human to perform a task
3. conduct = the actual act of exercising a device

As you said, functionality exists when a physical machine (a computer) can
enable a human to do a task. This occurs when the software to control that
computer is "installed". This is a clearly defined act, generally performed by
the computer owner. Software that is not installed on appropriate hardware is
inert.