(Fwd) Re: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

Woopps...time out! The argument was not why 100yrs is good,
that's what we've got now.The argument was 28 vs 50. <strawman
argument> THere's a big difference between 50 and 100 yrs and
that one might advocate 50 yrs does not mean that they would also
advocate an even longer term of 100yrs.

Also, the public domain is not comprised of all classics it is
comprised of everything. Yes those are exceptions but those and
many other exceptions are the reason the public domain is there.-
to provide a rich set of good works freely available. But only
classics in the public domain...that's not what the original
argument was. If you want to learn Electromagnetics, Jackson 3rd
ed is over $100 (I paid $18 in 1978 for 2ed!). Stratton (which should
be in in the PD even after 50yrs but is not) would be out in a cheap
dover edition. It's a better book with more deep insights into E&M.
Also, Maxwells work in governors was rediscovered in the 80s -
chaotic. Despite not having the topological tools of today, his
insight is worth reading.

Furthermore, do you think writing a book, a good book, is done in a
few months. Novels possibly but in the case of technical books no.
My advanced calculus professor has a book now in second edition.
I was in the first class in 1978 that he taught from a set of lecture
notes. It was over a decade before the first edition came out. 23 yrs
after my class there is a second edition. I can still see those
lecture notes in the second edition. Rather than churning over
works into the public domain in a few decades, give the creators a
reward-a good and long one. Macauley thought 42yrs was a good
figure for 1841. THe congress thought 50yrs was more than enough
in 1909(?). The issue is to provide a long enough time for gain yet
get things into the public domain is what enters the public domain
is contemporary enough to be of use. At 120yrs the answer is
obvious NFW. . Nothing much has changed since 1909 . Was 42
or 50 yrs a bribe rather than a perceived optimal solution - it sure
was and is.

BTW Jack London was primarily a 20th century writer. I just picked
up a book of his Sci Fi short stories. He has one describing the
conquest of China using bacteriological warfare. I read it shortly
after the anthrax "outbreak" last month. It's not contemporary but is
in the public domain yet still provided me with quite a chill as I read
it. It's value may have increased considerably after recent events.
Do you want to read something chilling about going to war - read
Mark Twains "A War Prayer"..of course one has to transcend the
few references to the spanish american war..but greatness is not
easy to understand..... Nowhere the value of today? A simple text
substitution would change that.  Is Jacqueline Suzanne's Valley of
the Dolls even in print?
OK you stated " I'd be will to accept and defend that statement.
19th century works have nowhere near the value, either to the
same extent as a whole as the works in the 1905-1973 period.  The
difference IMHO is a factor of 10 difference. " Qualify and quantify.

Unfortunately we can debate what is a good time but getting it
changed is another matter. The problem with many is that after
doing a precarious balancing act on the edge of a cliff, they begin
to believe that's the way things are and should be. Copyright has
become one of those.

"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
11/09/01 01:10 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss