RE: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

Good point... ultimately everything enters the public domain only
upon such time as somebody abandons it or they can't afford the
fees". I suppose you still need to put a time limit here..if so why
not just skip the rest and just put the time limit....50? (No .002
alias John Z....let's not start this one again....yet) I'm beginning to
appreciate Macauley. His argument was monopoly is an
abomination. I will give you a good devils bargain but NO MORE!

The other problem with monetary schemes is how do you
distinquish between a short story, a novella, or a novel for copyright
purposes? They tend to sell for different amounts in the market
place. Do you normalize by page count, words, or letters? Don't
forget that most people also buy a work for the creator's name and
reputation. So you are also penalizing authors who have managed
to create reputations that create more profit or income either one.

But the point was that why should the term for DIFFERENT
categories of copyrighted items be the same?

A start....

Books, Motion Pictures, Recordings, artworks, sculpture - 50yrs
(OK .002 now! :-)

Chip masks -10yrs
executable software images -5yrs (Win 95, win97, win ME,
win2000, win XP ....abandoned in 2 yrs...5 yrs is truly the devil's
bargain with Uncle Bill)
OK whatelse is there...
Software...?????

NOw where I'm having a problem with it since software gets
copyright protection for what? Is there any significant idea being
expressed when I program up bubblesort? WOW this guy uses
long names and that guy likes AA, AB, CC, or that guy uses
iooiiioi or xxxoooox (get a life!) ...WOW this guy used a do until
and that one used a do while and this one used goto's! I use bubble
sort as an example because how many have code up it? I've done
it enough when I've needed to soft a small amount of stuff quickly
but I haven't wasted my time even keeping my "library" copy
around...why bother, a waste of time. But probably hundreds of
thousands of people have written their own bubblesort routines...its
software and copyrighted...how much difference is there? with that
many people I can bet that taking out blanks, comments and
spaces, there's probably a few thousand "copyright" infringment
cases that could be lodged (birthday paradox comes to intellectual
property)...OK so what is the fixation of idea in software that gets it
copyright...how is the language so significant?