RE: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Michael A Rolenz wrote:

>Not a good idea. That assumes that the only thing worthy of copyright
>protection is something that makes money. So bestselling authors/peformers

I didn't say that it was bug-free.  The thing is that commercially viable
products ARE getting obscene amounts of copyright protection, yet the
authors recieve practically nothing.  In retrospect, I think I really
should've done an inverse dependency, but that still leaves the corner
case of non-commercial works.  That is, 100% authors share of 0 profits.
Basically, what I'm thinking of is a formula that runs a twofold
dependency: corps that cheat authors out of their fair share of profits
MUST pay big time to renew a copyright and must be denied copyright
protection if the author's share ever gets to be effectively zero, but
authors that freely give out stuff must pay a trivial amount to renew, or
none at all.

cost=profit/author's_share+trivial_admin_fee

Where profit must be obtained via GAAP might do the trick, but even GAAP
allows for "creative financing"...

>deserver copyright but the lesser don't....that's not a particualary fair
>or equitable arragnement. I think Macauley's arguments are still sound.
>Set the term. Make it long enough but not excessively so and don't mess
>with it again! It's such a simple approach and anyone can understand it
>and the government can administer it too.

Part of this thread is that meaningful times for one category may not be
meaningful for all.  A chip mask for the 80486 is not useful now less
than ten years after its creation, while a novel may very well be useful
for the entire lifetime of the author: in fact, I constantly reread works
by Heinlein and Azimov all the time even two decades after their death
and may very well have to obtain a new copy some time, as my copies are
showing much wear.  So where is long enough for both cases?  A short
renewable copyright may very well be the way to go, with the cost of
renewal based on the formula above such that it's more trouble than it's
worth to renew a copyright on a non-useful work, but trivial to renew a
work that the copyright holder is playing by the rules.

--

You have paid nothing for the preceding, therefore it's worth every penny
you've paid for it: if you did pay for it, might I remind you of the