RE: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

> Congress was not so much trying to provide a language to distinguish computer
> science properties, but rather to distinguish copyright properties. They needed
> to determine what would qualify for the section 117 machine use copying
> rules(installation, adaption for use, and archiving). They provided a
> definition that captures all things that these concepts are relevent to.
>
> I beleive there have been copyright cases over html code, for example, which
> was considered it to be a programming language. Most computer scientists will
> find this a bit odd, but a purest could argue that there isn't much difference
> between the gcc application parsing text written in C and mozilla parsing html.
> Both perform a well defined and repeatable transition of machine state.

In my mind the difference is that the HTML needs mozilla, and the output
of gcc doesn't need gcc anymore. but....

the difference here is while I might argue that HTML isn't a program or
that my object file generated from pascal code is... I think they are both
should enjoy copyright protection, along with your Excel macro (if it's
non-trivial), etc.

 -- noah silva